CFAA Continuing Education… in class or online
We offer continuing education for Canadian Fire Alarm Association Registered Technicians, which gives you credits toward your annual quotas for registration renewal. You need 8 credits a year, of which 2 must be “Category One”. If, like most technicians, you renew annually, credits must be taken within the 12 months preceding your renewal. If you renew every two years, the credits must be taken within the preceding 24 months. More info at www.cfaa.ca/cecreditform.aspx. If you are unemployed or if your employer will pay for this training, you may be eligible for government help with the cost. Contact us if you would like to explore this.
Online Training — 24 hours a day:
We offer 8 “Category One” credits in 8 hours. Class size is limited to 35 people, so you receive personal attention for the questions that matter to you. Full COVID-19 safety measures including social distancing in effect. You will receive a 112-page book with notes for the day. For full credit you must pass a knowledge test at the end. These credits can fill all of your requirements for one year, or (if you renew every two years) may be used in combination with other credits to fill your quota. . Cost $285 plus HST, includes lunch.
|Markham, ON||Wed. Sep. 23||8:30 A.M. to 5 P.M.||Critical Fire Alarm Updates , with instructor Rick Murray, C.E.T., L.E.L., Eng.L. B.C., CFI-1, GIFireE||Click Here|
|Cambridge, ON||Thu. Oct. 22||8:30 A.M. to 5 P.M.||Critical Fire Alarm Updates , with instructor Rick Murray, C.E.T., L.E.L., Eng.L. B.C., CFI-1, GIFireE.||Click Here|
|Markham, ON||Wed. Nov. 4||8:30 A.M. to 5 P.M.||Critical Fire Alarm Updates , with instructor Rick Murray, C.E.T., L.E.L., Eng.L. B.C., CFI-1, GIFireE.||Click Here|
Current Classroom Continuing Ed Topics (offered in public sessions but also available in private sessions at your premises.):
- Critical Fire Alarm Updates (8 hours). Consists of:
- Building Code Changes (3 hours): Discusses changes in effect Jan. 1 2020 in Ontario, including changes to CAN/ULC standards S524 and S537.
- Electromagnetic Locking Devices (Maglocks) (1.5 hours): The new rules and practical advice.
- CAN/ULC-S1001, Integrated Systems Testing of Fire Protection and Life Safety Systems (1.5 hours): Practical implications of the new standard.
- Fire Safety Plans (1 hour): What you need to know.
- Knowledge Test
- The Real Effects of Fire: Emerging Trends (8 hours). Consists of:
- Fire Code Retrofit (3 hours): Discusses the history leading to new regulations, in place in Ontario and Quebec and in discussion in Alberta and BC, on Fire Code Retrofit of Vulnerable Occupancies. Discusses those regulations.
- Life Cycle of a Fire Alarm (1.5 hours): Highlights events in the life cycle of a system that require decisions, maintenance, inspections or upgrades.
- Logbook (1.5 hours): Examines in detail the correct use of logbooks for systems.
- Knowledge Test
- Intricacies of Verification and Inspection (8 hours): Highlights tricky areas of ULC S537-04 and ULC S536-04, and how to navigate them.