CFAA Continuing Education… in class or online
We offer continuing education for Canadian Fire Alarm Association Registered Technicians, which gives you credits toward your annual quotas for registration renewal. You need 8 credits a year, of which 2 must be “Category One”. If, like most technicians, you renew annually, credits must be taken within the 12 months preceding your renewal. If you renew every two years, the credits must be taken within the preceding 24 months. More info at www.cfaa.ca/cecreditform.aspx. If you are unemployed or if your employer will pay for this training, you may be eligible for government help with the cost. Contact us if you would like to explore this.
Online Training — 24 hours a day:
We offer 8 “Category One” credits in 8 hours. Class size is limited to 35 people, so you receive personal attention for the questions that matter to you. For full credit you must pass a knowledge test at the end. These credits can fill all of your requirements for one year, or (if you renew every two years) may be used in combination with other credits to fill your quota. . Cost $285 plus HST, includes lunch.
|Gravenhurst||Thu. Mar. 28||8:30 A.M. to 5 P.M.||The Real Effects of Fire: Emerging Trends, with instructor Rick Murray, C.E.T., L.E.L., Eng.L. B.C., CFI-1||Closed|
|Kingston, ON||Wed. Apr. 24||8:30 A.M. to 5 P.M.||The Real Effects of Fire: Emerging Trends, with instructor Rick Murray, C.E.T., L.E.L., Eng.L. B.C., CFI-1||Click Here|
|Ottawa, ON||Thu. Apr. 25||8:30 A.M. to 5 P.M.||The Real Effects of Fire: Emerging Trends, with instructor Rick Murray, C.E.T., L.E.L., Eng.L. B.C., CFI-1||Click Here|
|London, ON||Wed. May 15||8:30 A.M. to 5 P.M.||Click Here|
|Grimsby||Wed. May. 22||8:30 A.M. to 5 P.M.||Click Here|
|Sudbury, ON||Wed. Oct. 23||8:30 A.M. to 5 P.M.||Click Here|
Classroom Continuing Ed Topics for 2018/19 (offered in public sessions but also available in private sessions at your premises.):
- The Real Effects of Fire: Emerging Trends (8 hours). Consists of:
- Fire Code Retrofit (3 hours): Discusses the history leading to new regulations, in place in Ontario and Quebec and in discussion in Alberta and BC, on Fire Code Retrofit of Vulnerable Occupancies. Discusses those regulations.
- Life Cycle of a Fire Alarm (1.5 hours): Highlights events in the life cycle of a system that require decisions, maintenance, inspections or upgrades.
- Logbook (1.5 hours): Examines in detail the correct use of logbooks for systems.
- Knowledge Test
- Intricacies of Verification and Inspection (8 hours): Highlights tricky areas of ULC S537-04 and ULC S536-04, and how to navigate them.
- Back to Basics (8 hours): Focuses on understanding and practical use of standards and codes as they relate to alarm systems, specifically: Ontario Building Code 2012, Ontario Fire Code 2007, ULC S524-06 – Standard for the Installation of Fire Alarm Systems, ULC S536-04 – Standard for the Inspection and testing of Fire Alarm Systems, and ULC S537-04 – Standard for the Verification of Fire Alarm Systems.